Amherst College – Seelye House

Seelye House was originally constructed in 1912. The exterior of the building was sensitively renovated, including replacement of the slate roof, and selective restoration of the brick and stonework. Deteriorated exterior woodwork, including a main column at the front entrance, was replaced in kind. Entrances were carefully modified to allow accessibility but minimize architectural impacts. The exterior walls and roofs are insulated with the latest generation of insulation technology and custom-made energy efficient windows result in a comfortable living environment and lowered energy use. Principal public spaces are preserved as common rooms, and the existing main stair was renovated, with modifications to meet current code requirements for handrails and guard rail configuration. The renovation reconfigured parts of the existing floor plan to accommodate new egress stair and make all public spaces accessible.